Isaiah 42:16

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths...I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

Sunday, September 23, 2012

A "hug from God"

Sorrow is hard, it is tiring, it is sobering.  The past two days have been extra hard.  Was it the realization that it has been 3 months since Pete went home to Heaven? Is the 22nd of every month going to be hard for a while? I am not sure, but things seemed tougher for me to handle emotionally this weekend. I have been reminded that grief is Biblical. David grieved the death of his son, Absalom. Joseph grieved the death of his father, Jacob.  Jesus, moved by the grief of his friends, Mary and Martha, wept at the tomb of his friend, Lazarus. Even though He knew He was going to raise him from the dead, Jesus saw the effect death had on mankind and grieved alongside of those He loved.

I know that Jesus is here with me. I know He understands my grief.  Many a time over the past three months, I have had to say to Him, “I cannot take this next step unless You hold my hand and help me.” He has been faithful each and every time. But the reality of life still hits hard sometimes…like this weekend. I cannot “get back to normal” because there is no going back to “normal”. I am still trying to figure out what my “new normal” is supposed to be…..and that is just going to take time….and that time will be mingled with tears, smiles, and the touches of family and friends.

This afternoon, as I was having a tearful moment, I realized that I needed some time with the Lord in order to try and get my composure put back together. I decided I was going to go outside on the back deck in my 'sanctuary' and just sit and pray. I had just put my cell phone down to leave inside so it wouldn’t be a distraction to me when it rang! It was our oldest grandson who is away at college. Now I don’t know about all grandparents, but for this grandmother, if one of our grandchildren calls, I always answer! I am so glad I did! Alex said he was just calling to check on me and tell me he loved me and wanted to know how he could pray for me! That was just what I needed today. Yes, I cried a bit on the phone with him but that was ok…he understood. I have always called unexpected blessings a “hug from God”.  Alex was a hug from God to me today! This made my sanctuary time even sweeter.

On September 22nd in Jesus Calling, this was part of the devotional:

“Trust Me and refuse to worry, for I am your Strength and Song. You are feeling wobbly this morning, looking at difficult times looming ahead, measuring them against your own strength. However, they are not today’s tasks – or even tomorrow’s. So leave them in the future and come home to the present, where you will find Me waiting for you. Since I am your Strength, I can empower you to handle each task as it comes. Because I am your Song, I can give you joy as you work alongside Me.”
  (based on Exodus 15:2)               
                                 
 What a good reminder…and I obviously needed it! One day at a time, holding His hand, as I walk through this valley, as I walk through this storm. He is my Strength and my Song. So I will keep working on waiting on Him, seeking to work alongside of Him and trusting His heart! And enjoying His "hugs" when He sends them to me!

                         May you feel a "hug from God" this week!

1 comment:

  1. Oh friend, I am sending you a Yang hug tonight. Please PLEASE call if you ever want a distraction or a little bit of noise and crazy- we will gladly provide it! And when are we meeting for bfast?

    ReplyDelete