Isaiah 42:16

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths...I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Looking up when life gets you down

When I saw the title of this book, I knew I needed to read it. I am trying so hard to look up to the Lord through this difficult time. Sometimes, I feel like I stumble and have to grab hold of His hand even tighter. Sometimes, I feel like I am walking along with Him beside me and doing ok. A few years ago, Pete and I bought a plaque that had a saying on it we both loved: It is impossible to lose your footing while on your knees. I find I am spending even more time on my knees lately! God in His goodness has met me there. I can feel Him trying to help me maneuver looking up, taking new steps while holding onto His hand and falling on my knees during the inbetween times!

 I have been reading Warren Wiersbe’s book Looking Up when Life Gets You Down this week. There was a section I have been “chewing on” this weekend…He says in order to grow, we must accept our suffering. ”Acceptance is active cooperation with God and it always includes gratitude. I may not always be able to be thankful for what has happened, but I can be thankful in what has happened….Second, we must surrender what He has given us back to him…placing our pain upon the altar as an act of worship to the glory of God…Third, we must listen for His message.”

As I reflected on those thoughts, I think he has made some good points for me. I do want to be active in my cooperation with God in my suffering over missing Pete. I am thankful for all He has given me and most thankful for Pete being in my life! I am thankful Pete didn’t have to suffer long. I am working to continually surrender my pain back to Him so that He can use it in my life and hopefully in other’s lives. I am seeking to listen and learn from Him as I walk this hard path. I do feel like He is teaching me more about Him as we walk through this valley together.

Warren Wiersbee went on to share a story about a WWII vet who lost both of his hands yet became a famous actor and author and an encourager to the handicapped. He said this man’s philosophy was, “It is not what you have lost, it is what you have left that counts.”

As I considered this philosophy of this apparently amazing man, I understood completely what he was saying but I had to change it a bit to minister to me, “It does matter what I have lost, but I need to recognize and focus on what I have left.”

What I have left: Wonderful memories of a good man
  ·         Who loved his Lord first and foremost
  ·         Who loved me with all his heart
  ·         Who loved his family with unwavering love
  ·         Who cherished his friendships
  ·         Who loved living life with laughter and fun
  ·         Who lived life by example
  ·         Who worked hard
  ·         Who shared often
  ·         Who had a heart big enough to include everyone
  ·         Who enjoyed serving the Lord with me as we worked together in church and
        on mission trips
  ·         Who was not perfect and drove me nuts sometimes but was a lot of fun to be 
        married to!

 What I have left: My future here on earth
  ·         Unknown but with a strong sense of confidence and trust that the Lord has me in
        the palm of His hand
  ·         The love and joy of our precious family
  ·         The sweetness of the strong friendships Pete and I have cultivated over the
        years who are still ever present in my life
  ·         Ability to continue serving the Lord on my own
  ·         The assurance that I will see Pete again in Heaven when I die because of my
        relationship with Jesus Christ

“Nobody will deny that what happens to us is important. But what happened in us is also important, because that will help to determine what happens through us.”
(Warren Wiersbe)

 Lord, I don’t like what happened to me with losing Pete here on earth, but I know You are working in me to help me yield to Your sovereignty, and I pray that means You will somehow speak through my life during this hard time and use this for Your glory. Amen.

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.”  II Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)
 
                                      Looking up while on my knees!

 

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss! I enjoyed reading your post. You have such a great perspective. In reading your story, I thought about two poems I had written some time ago:
    http://3daysatsea.wordpress.com/2012/09/11/after-the-rain/
    http://delanasworld.wordpress.com/2012/03/21/waiting-for-rainbows/
    Blessings,
    Delana

    ReplyDelete