Isaiah 42:16

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths...I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

Monday, December 10, 2012

Continuing the Singing Christmas Tree Legacy!


 
What a powerful weekend! Our church, Shandon Baptist in Columbia, South Carolina, gave the gift of the Singing Christmas Tree to our community for the 22nd year! Our tree held 130 singers and as our pastor said the songs mixed with the drama "shared the "magic" of Christmas as well as the "message" of Christmas of Jesus' birth"! I mentioned in an earlier post that Pete was the “chief architect” for the Tree each year and sang on every performance of each Tree for all 21 years! I will be honest with you…my heart was heavy as the Tree got closer and I thought about Pete not being there! I knew without a doubt I was supposed to be a part of the Tree and help in every way I could like I always did with Pete…but I also knew I could not do it without the strength of the Lord holding me up! I sent out an “emergency prayer request” to my “arm proper uppers” on Wednesday of this past week. I knew I needed the strength that comes from praying friends! It was so powerful to feel that strength as I went through this weekend. Without a doubt, I know that God gave me His grace and strength to make it through the Tree.

A dear friend who lost her husband 10 years ago told me to look for how God would show me that Pete was “there”! I thought about what she said…and wait til you hear how God gave me the gift of “having Pete” with us!

 
First of all, Allison decided she would sing in the Tree with me! She has not been able to participate in the Tree for years so it was such a blessing to have her beside me as we practiced over these past few months and then this whole weekend as we performed the Tree! We were four rows from the top - right in the middle! We had fun doing it together and she stayed with me all the way through take down last night…until the last piece of the Tree was put in the trailer and we shut the door at 12:30 AM! We had a great crowd of people come and help us with take down…which was such a huge blessing! So Pete was with me on the Tree through the gift of the presence of “our” daughter standing beside me as we sang songs to glorify the Lord!!

 
Then a couple of weeks ago, the door opened for Brantley, Josh and Luke to be in the drama as Mary, Joseph and the 2 year old Jesus when the Wise Men came to see him! Since they live in Raleigh, it took a lot of effort on their part to make this work but they felt honored to be able to participate…for the glory of the Lord and to honor Pete. They did great…and Luke was a fun 2 year old Jesus! He loved it and made lots of new friends! As they left today to go home, I told him, “Thank you for coming to B’s church and being in the Christmas play.” Luke said, “Good time! Do it again sometime!” Josh stayed with me at the church last night until 12:30 AM, too, and helped put the Tree away for the year. So Pete was with me through the gift of 3 generations being represented through the presence of Brantley , Josh and Luke participating in the Tree with me!

 Then 3 more of our grandchildren, our other son-in-law and Pete’s brothers and their wives helped with the  logistics of the Tree presentations! Jackson came on Wed night to fill in for Josh and help Brantley with Luke and the drama. Katherine and Noah came and ushered every single performance! They enjoyed mingling with the crowds and helping people find a seat! Rob was helping with crowd control at each performance! So Pete was with me on the Tree through the gift of more grandchildren , a son-in-law and  extended family helping to make the Tree go smoothly and create an atmosphere of  welcome and safety and once again having 3 generations represented through their gift of time.

 



Then we were able to have the pleasure of "AudreyAnnaPete” play the part of Baby Jesus! She is the baby of one of our young married Sunday School couples. I wrote about her on the October 22nd blogpost because she helped bring me happy feelings by her birth on the 4 month anniversary of Pete’s death. She did great and Brantley loved being able to hold her and love on her! So Pete was with me through the gift of AudreyAnna as she represented to me Pete’s joy in working with young couples!

 


I did good all week and weekend until I climbed down from the Tree after the final performance! The tears flowed…but I had lots of shoulders and hugs to get me through that emotional time! I am sure it was all the pent up emotion of going through all the performances of the Tree without the presence of the man I love who loved this production. I needed to cry it out because soon after, I had to get busy and help organize the take down of the Tree like I always did for Pete.

 Our Minister of Music graciously put a picture of Pete in the program along with these words: This year’s presentation of the Singing Christmas Tree marks the first year that we’ve done it without our ”chief architect” Pete Richards. This past summer, Pete went to be with the Lord after a brief illness. He left a space that will never be filled in our hearts as well as in the construction and presentation of the Singing Christmas Tree. Though Pete is not here with us this year, his fingerprints are all over tonight’s presentation both physically and figuratively. It is with gratitude for a life well lived that we remember Pete Richards this Christmas season.

I wrote this to some folks today... Pete will always be so alive in our lives as we continue to do whatever God wants us to do here on earth. God is teaching me that life will never be the same as it was with Pete and I will always miss him, but it will still be good. I am trusting Him for that...”

I am so thankful for our church and the vision we have worked on together for so many years to share the gospel through the Singing Christmas Tree. I am so thankful for Pete’s vision and love for the Tree. I think I can speak for the whole Richards family to assure Shandon Baptist Church that we will continue to be there to help with the Singing Christmas Tree every year….after all, we have a legacy to uphold and pass down!

 

         Thank you, Pete, for giving so much through the years
        to make the Singing Christmas Tree such a powerful gift
       to our community! We will fill your shoes as best as we can!
    We love you and miss you more than anyone could possibly know!

1 comment:

  1. Nice blog but supposedly I'm looking for the post of will trust estates tx, so better to keep it up!

    ReplyDelete