Isaiah 42:16

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths...I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Merry Christmas, Babe!


Dear Pete,
       Oh, how I miss you! It is Christmas Day…and you are not here with me! We had a good family time with the kids and grandkids all together as usual this week, but we all missed your laugh, your teasing, your reading of the Christmas story, your constant picture taking! We acted out the Christmas story like we always do…Peter stood in for you and read from the Bible. He did a good job…you would have been proud of him for stepping into your shoes. Luke, our little Jesus in the Singing Christmas Tree, wanted to be a shepherd in our play this year, then changed to a Wise Man at the last minute when Allison let him ring a bell! I actually think he came out with the shepherds and the wise men! Ha! Noah was the sheep like he always loves to be…he is getting to be a pretty big sheep now! The rest of us filled in the rest of the parts. I know how you always liked our tradition of acting out the story of Jesus’ birth. It has always been a sweet reminder to us of the real meaning of Christmas, hasn't it?

 I wanted to tell you about the memory gifts I gave the kids and grandkids from us this year. A dear friend helped me figure out how to make the Caring Bridge entries into a book and I added photos to it, too, and gave each one of the kids a copy. That will be something we will all cherish being able to go back and read and remember... Then two dear people inspired me to do something special for the kids and grandkids. One of my friends offered to make a special quilt throw out of your jeans and flannel shirts for me and then my dear Aunt Sara showed me how she made a quilt out of Uncle Joe’s t-shirts. They inspired me to dust off my old sewing machine! I used a lot of your shirts and made each one of the kids and grandkids their own quilt throw to snuggle under during the cool winter nights! Each of the quilts had special connections between you and that child/grandchild…like for Peter, I included your barefoot water skiing t-shirt since you did that together; for Allison, your Looney Tunes shirt since she loved watching cartoons with you; for Brantley, your “I yell because I care” shirt…(remember those driving lessons and how she gave you that shirt as a thank you for teaching her? Ha!) I put special shirts and t-shirts on each of their quilts - one of your SCT shirts, Edisto shirts, Hood shirts as well as one of your white t-shirts which you always wore! The 3 oldest grandkids had a t-shirt that reminded them of their 15 year old special grandchild/Papa & B trip with them and then Noah and Luke had one of your special Carolina shirts! The quilts brought a few tears but they seemed truly happy to get something that will always be a special reminder of you!



         I will be honest with you, Babe...I totally trust the Lord with Him calling you home when He did…but it just plain stinks not having you here with me anymore! Emotionally, it has been tough going through the motions of the holidays without you beside me…I just miss you! It is hard to believe it has been 6 months! But I want you to know that I am ok and I can tell I am better…my emotions are not as raw as they were for the first few months, but that doesn’t diminish my sadness that you are not with me anymore.  I have noticed that even when I am among family and friends who I know love me, I can still feel alone sometimes because you are not there with me. It is a strange feeling…

        I have been trying hard to keep my focus on Jesus and to count my blessings... which are many! Dick preached about how important it is to keep focusing on the glory and greatness of Jesus Christ this past Sunday. He said we need to remember when we allow the glory of Jesus to break into the reality of our lives, it is life changing! That is so true for me! The glory of Jesus...and you are seeing it in person! 

        Then at the Christmas Eve service last night, Dick talked about how Jesus was “the” gift…He was a gift from God to our world! He said four things were going on the night that Jesus was born. Wondering, treasuring, glorifying and worshipping! (Luke 2) The shepherds wondered what was going on and wondered with amazement at the angels and the message. Mary treasured all that happened in her heart…I am sure the shepherds did, too! The sky shone with the glory of the Lord and the angels were praising and glorifying God! The shepherds RAN (I love that…they didn’t walk…they RAN) to go find Jesus so they could worship Him! And when they left, they told everyone they met about Jesus! Oh, what a powerful reminder that was for me. Off and on today, I have thought about those four words (wondering, treasuring, glorifying and worshipping) and have asked the Lord to show me how to do all four of those things better during this next year.

    I keep thinking about you and wondering what you are experiencing right now! You are there...you are actually worshipping Jesus in person! I can only imagine how majestic it must be for you!  One of our dear friends said yesterday that you are at His “birthday party” this year! How incredible that must be! You are actually surrounded by that glory that we can only imagine!

     Babe, I hope you have had an incredible Christmas in Heaven today! I know God has got you…He’s got me, too! I just miss you… and I love you, Brenda
                           Pete’s First Christmas in Heaven
                                               (author unknown)

I see the countless Christmas trees around the world below; with tiny lights, like Heaven's stars reflecting in the snow. The sight is so spectacular, please wipe away the tears, for I am spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year. I hear the many Christmas songs that people hold so dear, but the sounds of music can't compare with the Christmas choir here. I have no words to tell you, the joy their voices bring, for it is beyond description to hear the angels sing. I know how much you miss me; I see the pain inside your heart, but I am not so far away, we really aren't apart. So be happy for me dear ones, you know I hold you dear, and I'll be spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year. I sent you each a special gift, from my heavenly home above. I sent you each a memory of my undying love. After all, love is a gift more precious than pure gold. It was always most important in the stories Jesus told. Please love and keep each other, as my Father said to do, for I can't count the blessing or love He has for each of you. So have a Merry Christmas and wipe away that tear. Remember, I’m spending Christmas with Jesus Christ this year.
                                    Merry Christmas, Babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment