Isaiah 42:16

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths...I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

Monday, January 28, 2013

Choose Joy!


January 18th was my birthday! After going through the holidays without Pete and experiencing such a rough New Year’s Eve, I was determined that I was not going to wallow in self-pity for my birthday! I knew the first birthday without Pete being here to make a big deal out of it was going to be hard! Soooo, I asked Brantley if she would go with me to one of Pete and my favorite places! New York City! We flew up there on my birthday and enjoyed a special mother/daughter weekend! To make it even better, Jackie (Peter’s wife), Jackson (our 2nd grandson) and Jackie’s sister were all there for the weekend, too!! Totally planned without each other knowing it…but once I found out, I just smiled because I knew it was another sweet gift God was giving me to have them there to celebrate my birthday with me, too!

Every single night Pete and I spent in NYC, we went to Carnegie Deli and ate cheesecake! I am not about to change that tradition!! They make the absolute best cheesecake in the country! So Jackie and Jackson joined us for cheesecake on my birthday! What a treat!

 
 I remember the first time Pete took me to NYC. He loved to tell the story about how when he said we were going to ride on the subway, I started protesting…”I am NOT going to ride on the NYC subway…I have heard about what happens down there! It is too dangerous!” He convinced me that I was being silly and down we went! I loved it! I started trying to learn the routes and to learn when we needed to look for the “downtown” train or the “uptown” train. Two days later, he turned around and found me “helping” some tourists figure out what train they needed to take! He just laughed and laughed! We loved visiting New York City and went many times! Brantley was a good sport to listen to me reminisce about all the places we visited and the fun times…but you know what, not a tear fell! It was just fun remembering the good times we had together there!
 
      We even took our kids and their spouses up there about 9 years ago right after Christmas! Yes, they even put up with wearing these silly shirts long enough for us to get a picture! We had a lot of fun! So glad we have these special memories!

 

When I got home, I had several sweet cards from family and friends to read. One was from a dear younger friend who lost her husband to a brain tumor years ago. She has been a sweet, strong source of support since Pete died. She wrote this on my card, “Brenda, you do have a lot to celebrate! You’re slowly putting the pieces of your heart back together and the sun is going to shine again; I promise! Many times when I went through a special birthday or holiday, sure, it was a little sad and I reflected on how my life was different but you can always decide to choose joy! Make a list of all the things you are grateful for and a smile will come gently across your face through your tears. We never forget or replace; we reflect and add to. Pray big prayers and then do your part!”

I just smiled as I read her note! Wise words from someone who has “been there”! She is so right! I can choose joy! And I think that was what I was trying to do by choosing to do something special on my birthday weekend so that the focus would be on joy instead of sorrow!  I read these words in In Touch magazine "Some people use happiness and joy interchangeably. There is a vast difference in their meanings. Both cause a pleasant emotional response, but the former relies entirely upon circumstance. As soon as difficulty arises and pain intrudes, a person ceases to be happy. On the other hand, joy is a gift from God that enables believers to find hope and peace - even when life seemingly falls apart." Good words for all of us to reflect on no matter our circumstances.

There are so many wonderful verses about joy in the Bible. I started thinking about some of them...

 The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” Galatians 5:22 (One of my goal verses!)

“…the joy of the Lord is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10

“I will praise You with songs of joy…I sing for joy in the shadow of Your wings.” Psalms 63: 5b, 7b

Then I started reflecting on when I have felt joy this month…

I have felt joy…
…ever since that New Year’s morning when I woke up and saw God’s glory in His sky and sunrise!
…in seeing and being with different family members.
…in sharing meals with special friends.
…in reading His Word and having time to focus on prayer!
…in an answer to a prayer Pete and I have prayed for years as God has led our pastor to feel the need for us as a church to be more involved in missions.
…every day in appreciating all the work Pete did to make our house a special home!
…in the willingness of friends to go above and beyond to help me with projects!
…in the body of Christ who are helping to care for my aging parents since I am not in the same town with them.
…in the hugs and love of others.
...in seeing Him open doors for ways I can serve Him.
…in the surprise of a daffodil blooming in our yard this week during this cold weather!




Lord, keep teaching me to choose joy! Thank You for being the Source of my joy!

                                                     Choose Joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment