Isaiah 42:16

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths...I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

Sunday, July 8, 2012

"Have you told me lately that you love me?"

That was Pete’s fun way of saying to me, “I love you and want to hear you say you love me!” It started years ago and we always laughed when he said it and the "I love yous" quickly followed. I can honestly say we told each other we loved each other many times during the day. A few years ago, I found this sign in a store and brought it home. We put it up in our walk-in closet where we would see it everyday.  It is still bringing me smiles and love as I see it daily.



 What brought this to mind today was one of our sweet young married Sunday School classes. When Pete and I finally decided we were getting too old for youth ministry J, we moved into working with some  young  married classes. Actually, we just adopted more “children” into our family! We worked with one class for many years and about 4 or 5 years ago, we started working with another group. That group has now grown so much that it has multiplied into two classes. Pete and I continued to work with both classes…selfishly because we loved them all too much to choose just one!

 The group I was with this morning was beginning an Andy Stanley series on marriage via video tape. Andy talked about how sad it was that many long married couples don’t seem to “stay in love”. Thankfully, I can honestly say, that was one thing Pete and I worked on…staying in love….and we did! It takes commitment and self sacrifice but oh, it is so worth it! Andy said love is a verb and we need to base our definition of love on Jesus! In John   13:34, Jesus says, “Love one another as I have loved you!” When you center your marriage on Jesus instead of your own wants and needs, your marriage will be so much better and stronger! Love is a verb! Put action to your love!

 Right after we got married, I told Pete the one thing I wanted from him each anniversary was a love letter! Now, guys, you can well imagine the response I received from that request! My Pete was NOT a letter writer!! But I kept telling him he didn’t need to buy me anything if he would just write me a letter!( I think that is what won him over!) Actually, writing those letters to each other became a special part of our anniversary celebration each year.  As you can well imagine, more than anything else, I am treasuring those letters right now! I am sharing this with you in hopes it might inspire you to start a new tradition in your marriage! I can promise you it will be a blessing to both of you!

Pete was great about hugging our kids and grandkids and telling them he loved them. He did not miss an opportunity whether it was in person or on the phone to say “I love you” to them. Guys, Pete is not here to be able to do that with me or his kids and grandkids anymore…don’t miss your opportunities! I know without a doubt that they knew they were loved by this man but oh, how we are all missing hearing those words and getting those hugs in person from him! Be sure your wife, kids and grandkids get your hugs and love daily!

One more challenge for the men in Pete’s life…think of a way this week you can go out of your way to let your wife know you love her. Pete and I don’t have that opportunity anymore! I miss it so much! Life is way too short! Don’t miss making the most of every moment…say “I love you” often. Greet each other at the door. Snuggle together at night. Hold hands. Write love letters. Call just to say “I love you”. Bring home flowers. Open the door for her.


                                             “Have you told me lately that you love me?”

3 comments:

  1. Oh Brenda - I love this post! It is just like our sweet Lord to give you tangible evidence to help heal your broken heart...sometimes we need something we can hold in our hands...He knows when our heart needs a "sign" from Him. Please know how much we are praying for you! Love to you!
    Christy

    "Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, as I sat next to you in Sunday School class this morning, I couldn't help but think how hard this lesson must be for you at this time. I didn't get a chance to talk to you before you went to choir, but I just wanted to thank you for your continued faithfulness to our class and all married couples. You could be keeping your thoughts in a private journal, but instead you have chosen to publish this blog so we all have an example of Godly grieving.

    When Andy was talking about how there aren't many of us that have an example of a couple who has managed to successfully "stay in love", I was thinking that you and Pete have been that example to countless couples. Thank you for that, and thank you for continuing to let God use you as an example...even if it is not the example you were planning to set.

    You have, and will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

    Meagan Tyner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just letting you know I have not forgotten. You are in my heart!

    ReplyDelete