Isaiah 42:16

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths...I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Joy in the Journey?


In March of this year, I was one of the speakers at our Ladies’ Retreat. Our topic was Lifedance; Dancing through life with freedom and joy.   I referenced a great book by Ann Voskamp titled One Thousand Gifts. She focuses on the word Eucharisteo which means ‘to be thankful’.

I spoke on having "Joy in the Journey" in our life with Christ. One of the things I shared with the ladies at the retreat is that we all have “hard eucharisteo” times in life….and if they had not experienced them yet, they would! I asked, “How do we still give thanks when life is hard?” I shared this verse in Habakkuk 3:17 – 19 and told the ladies that sometimes you have to say this verse through tears and clinched teeth…with a determination that can only come from the Lord’s strength.

“Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vine; even though the olive crop fails, and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields, and the cattle barns are empty, nevertheless I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation. The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He will make me as surefooted as a deer and bring me safely over the mountains.”

I have been talking to the Lord about this a lot this week. I am not dancing right now…but I am still walking! I am getting one foot in front of the other. My joy in the Lord is still as strong as ever…but my daily joy has been rocked! I believe it will come back, but I am missing Pete too much to tell you I am joyful right now. Ann says in her book that “Jesus’ nail-scarred hands cups our face close, wipes away the tears running down, has eyes to look deep into our brimming ache, and whisper, ‘I know, I know’…Jesus, at the Last Supper, showed us how to transfigure all things – take the pain that is given, give thanks for it, and transform it into a joy that fulfills all emptiness.” I feel His sweet hands cupping my face often. This is the hard eucharisteo...harder than I have ever experienced in life!  I have told the Lord that selfishly, I cannot say “thank you” for calling Pete home at this time. Maybe I will get there…I don’t know. But my human heart is missing him too much to say that now. Yet, I knew that I had many “thank yous” that I could say to Him during this hard eucharisteo time, and I do believe He will transform all this into “a joy that fulfills all emptiness”.

*Thank you, Lord, that I know, without a doubt, that Pete knew Your son,Jesus, as his Lord and Savior and is in heaven with Him!

*Thank you, Lord, for Pete’s love for our family and so many others!

*Thank you, Lord, for Pete’s life and the many, many people he touched and how he made a difference in people!

*Thank you, Lord, for his servant heart and his patience with all of us!

*Thank you, Lord, for his sense of humor and that big smile that brightened all of our lives!

*Thank you, Lord, that he didn’t have to suffer long with this awful disease of cancer!

*Thank you, Lord, that we were able to have him home with us that last week.

*Thank you, Lord, for the body of Christ and the many, many expressions of love for our family during this time.

Here is my current “personal” version of Habakkak 3:17 – 19.          

“Even though this house is so empty without Pete’s presence , and I am missing his hugs and smile; even though I am so sad that he will not be here to share the future on this earth with me, and our children and grandchildren will miss him so; even though he is so missed in his church and work world, and I feel so lonely without him, nevertheless I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation! The Sovereign Lord is my strength! He will help me walk and not faint and bring me safely through this hard journey.”

 Amen.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart and ministering to me through your blog. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sister, you will find joy again. I can't imagine the pain of the hole in your heart right now, but I feel a little of it with you. Joy will return. Press on.... Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda,
    Thank you so much for NOT hiding your sorrow. Thank you for being real and showing us that it hurts and that it's ok to hurt and be sad and NOT be able to thank God for some of the aspects of our hurt right now (even when that hurt doesn't involve the loss of a loved one). I'm still single, but I hold faith that the Lord will provide a spouse for me one day. If He has different plans for my future, I know that He will call my parents home one day and I'll struggle with that sorrow. Thank you for being an example to all of us and for being willing to share how God is holding you through this so that those of us who are have yet to experience it will be better prepared for the struggles when they do come. Sending you love from the Upstate!

    Christy Williams

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! Our bible study was just about that last night! I'm struggling with the same thing...how to be thankful and joyful during tough trials. But God is faithful and will give us the strength even when its hard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I walk and pray,I am so keenly aware of this time of absorbing Pete's deep loss especially for you and all the family and friends as well. God truly blessed our lives with his quick wit and smile. We carry a part of him along in us and now we bear his love for people and the work to make our world better in a way that strenghtens us in our own gifts. May God's comforting presence continue to fill the places of great emptiness. Light will fill darkness and joy will have a new deeper hue with this walk that indeed includes tears of grief and tears of gratitude. Our love and prayers are ongoing.

    ReplyDelete