Isaiah 42:16

"I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths...I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them." Isaiah 42:16

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Humpty Dumpty

God is teaching me so much as I walk through this valley. A dear friend who has walked this path before shared a great devotional book with me a couple of weeks ago - Grieving the loss of someone you love by Raymond Mitsch and Lynn Brookside. It has truly ministered to me. This is one of the devotionals that meant so much to me. Maybe it will speak to a place in your heart if you are going through any kind of pain.

“In the weeks and months following the death of someone we love, we often feel like Humpty Dumpty. That’s the only way to describe it. We feel broken. We hurt so much that our pain seems almost tangible. We move cautiously and uncertainly because our nerve endings are all on the alert, sensitive to the slightest stimulus. We breathe shallowly as if we are afraid to take a deep breath for fear our lungs will press too harshly upon our aching heart. There are times when the atmosphere around us seems to be charged with our own anguish and dread. We long for the days when life was simpler, sweeter.

There is a difference, however, between our King and Humpty Dumpty’s. Our King is able to put even Humpty Dumpty back together again. In fact, our King sent His Son to be broken for us so that He could put us back together better than we were before. That doesn’t mean that our pain is not real. It is very real, just as Christ’s pain was real when He wept for Lazarus. It does mean that we can have hope in the midst of our pain. It means that we can turn to our loving Heavenly Father knowing that He will see us through this pain, knowing that Christ understands our pain because He has felt it himself.

It means that we have an Advocate and a Helper who can assist us as we grapple with the reality of death, as we struggle to find acceptance – even joy – in the face of our very personal suffering. If we are faithful to the task at hand, if we determine to walk through this storm, calling on our Father/Advocate/Helper, we will arrive at the other side with a renewed understanding of our own life…and of life in general. We will learn to live more joyously because we have learned to face death….your job in this rebuilding process is to hand each piece to your Heavenly Father as He asks for them. Then watch in awe as He puts them back together…”
 
All the king’s horses and all the king’s men couldn’t put Humpty Dumpty back together again. I am so glad we are not Humpty Dumpty! My King is strong and mighty! I know there are many of us who are going through valleys of some sort...You may feel like a broken Humpty Dumpty, too. I know I can count on Him to pick up all my broken pieces and put me back together again...I hope you know that, too. It is going to be a hard journey but we can all lean on these words from Psalm 147:3

“He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.”

Another dear friend reminded me of this song today and it fits perfectly with this devotional and where I am in this journey…

Broken Hallelujah  by Mandisa:

With my love and my sadness
I come before You Lord
My heart's in a thousand pieces
Maybe even more

Yet I trust in this moment
You're with me somehow
And You've always been faithful
So Lord even now

When all that I can sing
Is a broken hallelujah
When my only offering
Is shattered praise
Still a song of adoration
Will rise up from these ruins
I will worship You and give You thanks
Even when my only praise
Is a broken hallelujah

Oh Father, You have given
Much more than I deserve
And I have felt Your hand of blessing
On me at every turn

How could I doubt Your goodness
Your wisdom, Your grace
So Lord hear my heart
In this painful place

[Chorus]

Hallelujah
I lift my voice
Your Spirit moves
I raise my hands
I reach for You

[Chorus]
With my love and my sadness, I come before You, Lord, my heart is in a thousand pieces maybe even more. Yet I trust in this moment, you're with me somehow.  You've always been faithful so Lord even now when all that I can sing is a broken hallelujah, when my only offering is shattered praise, still a song of adoration will rise up from these ruins, I will worship You and give You thanks, even when my only praise is a broken hallelujah.

Oh Father, You have given much more than I deserve, and I have felt Your hand of blessing on me at every turn. How could I doubt Your goodness, Your wisdom, Your grace,
So Lord hear my heart in this painful place...

Hallelujah, I lift my voice, Your Spirit moves, I raise my hands, I reach for You.


                          Thank you, Lord, that we are not Humpty Dumpty!

2 comments:

  1. Keep writing and sharing. It is blessing so many of us.
    Lorie

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Humpty Dumpty, a tunnel toward hope, sand dollars with whole and hole, God is assuredly speaking words of healing. Through your reflections of honest grief and glimpses of Grace we are given an opportunity to share this walk with you. Thank you for the reminders of how deep the Psalms take us into the humanity of life's pain, joy and praise. I love you. Joann (Davis)

    ReplyDelete